In recent years, the beauty industry has been criticized for its impact on the environment from plastic packaging to harmful chemicals. And as consumers we have become more conscious of our own environmental impact of our beauty rituals and purchase choices, which has inspired many of us to make changes to our own beauty routines. In an effort to minimize my beauty carbon footprint I developed my own personal care products and found a beau-teal-ful tribe who wants the same out of their products.
Our product line was carefully crafted with sustainability at the forefront of our minds. Below are some examples of how we have shown our dedication to our planet:
To optimize our resources, we used the same base ingredients across our Body Butter and Sun Swag Body Oil collections. By doing so, we were able to make the most out of our purchases rather than using a wide variety of ingredients.
In an effort to reduce our environmental impact, we made the decision to remove Dead Sea Mud from our product line since it was being depleted due to consumerism and climate change
- We specifically chose ingredients that were abundant in nature to ensure that our products were not only effective but also eco-friendly.
- By purchasing in small batches, we are able to buy packaging only when we need it, rather than ordering large quantities in bulk. This approach helps to minimize product waste in landfills, as we are not left with unsold inventory nearing its expiry date.
- In 2015, a friend of mine approached me to assist with a fundraiser for an animal sanctuary that housed over 21 primates, many of which were retired from lab services or rescued from labs. Through this experience, I became aware of the inhumane treatment that animals are subjected to in cosmetic testing. To support the fundraiser, I began selling my personal body butter, which ultimately led to the creation of Teal N Bronze.
We took great care in selecting our packaging with many purposes in mind. Our wide-mouth jars were chosen not only to give our customers value down to the last drop but also to prevent excess product from entering our waterways, which can cause bioaccumulation. Bioaccumulation refers to the gradual accumulation of harmful substances in living organisms. In an effort to minimize pollution in our waterways, we prioritize inkless boxes, bags and our tissue paper is printed with chemical free soy ink.
- Our jars, bottles and lids are rated PETE 1 , the most widely accepted plastic for recycling.
- We include our ingredient list and usage instructions on a removable label to eliminate the need for a box, minimizing waste and reducing our environmental impact.
- To encourage upcycling, we opted for jars that can be repurposed and labels that can be removed. We also use biodegradable and reusable kraft paper, which is made from virgin wood pulp, a completely organic material that can be recycled up to seven times.
- Sourcing our supplies from local distributors helps to reduce our carbon footprint by decreasing transportation emissions associated with long-distance shipping.
We are one ingredient away from getting our Leaping Bunny certification and in the process of securing our Climate Neutral certification. Leaping Bunny assures you that products are animal testing-free, while Climate Neutral certification guarantees companies are measuring and offset their carbon footprint.
- In our 8 years in business, we consciously decided to forgo paid advertising to maintain a reasonable level of production. We understand that many consumers are still learning about the benefits of organic body care, but we believe that by making our products available, those who are interested in purchasing them will be able to find us. We prioritize reaching individuals who are passionate about body care and can truly appreciate the value of our products.
By adopting sustainable beauty practices, you can help reduce your environmental impact and make a difference in the world. From choosing natural and organic products to using reusable makeup wipes and supporting eco-friendly businesses like Teal N Bronze, small changes can make a big impact on the environment.